Can I release cover songs, remixes or songs using samples?

If you release a cover, remix or song that uses samples, you’ll probably need permission from the original copyright holder.

You can usually get this by purchasing a licence before releasing your music. If you don’t have the necessary licence, we won’t be able to release your music. The good news is that we’re able to get a cover licence for you if you don’t already have one. Simply go through the distribution process and acquire a licence once you’ve selected your song is a cover.


If you’re remixing someone else’s track, you’ll need a Master Licence. Master Licences can be a little trickier to get compared to Mechanical licences. You may have to find, contact and negotiate with the rights holder directly.


You’ll need to get hold of both a Master and Mechanical License in order to legally use a sample of someone else’s song in your track.